Building a Successful Website
What are two highly effective and economical ways to promote your website and build targeted web traffic?
1. Get a great web address (domain name).
2. Optimize your site for high search engine rankings.
1. Getting a great web address:
location location location
A quality Web address is vital to the success of your website. You can build a great site, yet if your customers don't remember the exact address they may never see it. An easy-to-remember, descriptive domain name is a proven and sustainable web promotion tactic.
.com .com .com
.com has emerged as the prime location for commercial websites. Numerous studies demonstrate that web users commonly assume that a web address is a .com address, by default. There are, of course, exceptions, such as certain country-specific domains. For example, .fr may be used in France for a French company. However, when these companies wish to have a truly global presence, they also opt for launching a .com site.
Already have a domain name? It's not too late. You can "point" more than one domain to your website. Many companies promote multiple Internet addresses. For example, a specific company or brand domain used together with an easy-to-remember or descriptive domain. This is ideal if your company name is long, difficult to spell or does not enjoy massive global name recognition in all target markets. It is also a great way to promote specific product groups and is an important strategy in search engine optimization. Additionally, keyword-rich domains will boost rankings on most major search engines.
2. Achieving High Search Engine Rankings: Optimize!
Search engine optimization, also known as placement and positioning, is the process of improving a web site for higher search engine rankings. It's the first step in achieving rankings in the major Internet search engines and directories. Only after effective optimization can you submit a site and hope for good results.
Effective Search Engine Optimization involves the following basic factors:
1. Optimizing internal site elements: Optimizing your site begins with a look at its internal elements. These include aspect not visible to the user. Examples include: HTML titles, meta tags, ALT tags, URL names and many other important factors. Implementing proper keyword density in the visible content is crucial. Effective keyword research is the first step in this process.
2. Optimizing external site elements: Link popularity, Click Popularity and Themes are just some of the external elements that can affect your site's ranking.
3. Submitting your site to search engines and directories: Major search engines and directory sites such as MSN, AOL, Excite, Inktomi, Lycos, Google AltaVista, Yahoo, LookSmart,and ODP all have their own submission procedures. Your site must be submitted on this prescribed basis.
4. Monitoring your position: Once you've submitted your site it's important to take use performance metrics to see how it's doing.
5. Re-optimization and resubmission: It's usually necessary to tinker with your site and resubmit it. Take another look at your site's internal and external elements and analyze your competition for new ideas.
6. Maintenance: After you finally achieve the rankings you want, you'll need to work on maintaining your position with the search engines. This includes monitoring your rankings for changes and tweaking your pages whenever necessary.
Cojoweb.com offers custom solutions to get your site noticed on the search engines.
Back to What you need to know about Website Design